Khala Cloths is proud to practice environmental responsibility and sustainability.
What does that look like?
1) We are certified by Green America and are members of the Plastic Pollution Coalition and The Climate Collaborative as we believe actions speak loader than words. As a members of 1% for the Planet we donate to environmental non-profits and organizations that support education and awareness of human impact on the planet.
2) Every Khala Cloth comes in zero waste packaging. For example, the toppers are made from post-consumer recycled paper. Everything else – from the wax paper bag to the staple – are either biodegradable or recyclable.
3) The fabric used to construct a Khala Cloth is organic cotton and hemp grown in North America, and is certified by the Global Organic Textile Standards.
4) And most important to us: we only source “bee-centric” beeswax from “bee-first” apiaries***. What does this mean? First and foremost it means the bees’ life is the main priority. The harvesting of wax or honey is a distant second. These apiaries allow bees to eat their own honey instead of replacing it with sugar water. They also keep chemicals out of their hives. To quote one of our farmers when I asked if his beeswax was organic he replied, "bees wax is organic in nature and can be eaten... don't be fooled by ‘organic beeswax’ - organic beekeepers still and are allowed to use toxic chemicals in their hives. But I will never use these in my hives!"
5) We leave our fabric and beeswax in its natural color. No bleaching, no chemicals.
6) We are a Zero Waste Company. That means our goal is to produce Zero Garbage. In the last three years of production all our waste can fit into a 5 gallon bucket.
***If you are a Bee-centric or Bee first apiary that we don't currently work with, please contact us!